Thursday, May 14, 2009

The most disturbing blog I think I have written.

My shark swimming friend emailed me a list of the six most terrifying foods in the world. They include such tasty delights as as baby mice wine.


If you fancy a glass of it, you'll find it in Korea.

Also on the list was cazu marzu .

It doesn't look too scary from the picture however, I quote:


'This, dear reader, is a medium-sized lump of Sweet Christ. Casu Marzu is a sheep'
milk cheese that has been deliberately infested by a Piophila casei, the "cheese fly."
The result is a maggot-ridden, weeping stink bomb in an advanced state of
decomposition.'

But wait! There's more! It also comes with translucent larvae that can jump six inches in the air when you eat it. Little wonder it also goes by the name of 'maggot cheese' and has been outlawed in Sardinia.

The scariest morsel on the list for me was the number one.

I am sorry I am doing this to you, but I would like to introduce you to balut.

It's from the Philippines and I quote:

'Balut are duck eggs that have been incubated until the fetus is all feathery and beaky, and then boiled alive. The bones give the eggs a uniquely crunchy texture. They are enjoyed in Cambodia, Philippines and the fifth and seventh levels of hell. They are typically sold by street vendors at night, out of buckets of warm sand. You can spot the vendors because of their glowing red eyes, and the faint, otherworldly sound of children screaming.'

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I will go and vomit in the rubbish bin.

17 comments:

White Rabbit said...

*cries with fear* Why Kate?! Why?!

laughykate said...

Does 'a problem shared is a problem halved' cut it?!

Daily Daydreamer said...

I don't know whether to cry, or puke...possibly both..

laughykate said...

Want to borrow my rubbish bin?

Megan McGurk said...

Hah!
That's fucking cool, Kate.
And mighty disgusting.

vdog said...

As revolting as those three things are (I have my own rubbish bin, thank goodness), now I really have to know: what were the other three????

whoopsadaisy said...

I have the shivers now- that is the GROSSEST blog post I've ever read.
Jumping larvae *shudder*

I couldn't actually finish reading it. Why Kate, WHY?????
I'm all itchy now :(

B said...

I knew it'd be unwise to read right before dinner


...yet that's exactly what I've just done.

Jo said...

Why would you do it Kate, why?

Twenty posted a post about the duck eggs recently, but I think he thought it was accidental, not just occidental, heheheh.

Vomit!

Rob Hosking said...

Hell, I just find clips of awful old songs when I want to make people cringe and feel slightly ill.

If you were after the MOST DISTURBING POST OF THE YEAR award I think you've probably won.

Unless someone blogs about Christine Rankin and Michael Laws' Night Of Passion.

laughykate said...

Medbh, you really don't want to think about it too much!

VDOG, have you eaten ? Second to scariest was boiled entire sheep's head from Iran. Another was escamole, ant eggs the consistency of cottage cheese that you can pick up in Mexico. And the other was lutefish, a Norwegian dish with cod that has been marinating in a solution of lye(potassium hydroxide/sodium hydroxide). You know it's done when the flesh is castic enough to dissolve Granny's best silver.

Whoopsadaisy, sorry, can I suggest a soothing bath?

B, so you managed dinner?

Jo,as I said to White Rabbit, a problem shared is......
That excuse isn't cutting it, is it?

Rob, sweet mother of god, please tell me that's not true.

vdog said...

Oh good news - was watching 'the F word' last night and saw Ramsay sample some of that maggot cheese! It looked exactly as rank as your description made it sound.

laughykate said...

Gah! Really? That's brave!





Or incredibly fucking mental.

Wendy said...

well, one correction,
the mice wines are not found in Korea,
that's from China.

laughykate said...

Hiya Wendiness. Is that Chinese on that label ?

Anonymous said...

Don`t worry!

Anonymous said...

The worst part is.. My firend's dad eats those duck eggs.. >.>
Yes, he is from the Philippines.. Yuck.