Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bring on Twenty-four Hour Monopoly.

I had a call time for a job this morning of 5.30 a.m. which, let's be honest, is pretty brutal. And in the depths of winter, it is sensationally brutal.

Not only do you have to get up early, but you have to get up early when it's DARK and COLD. And you're really tired not only cause you had to get up early but also because you woke at every hour on the hour to see how many hours you had left before you had to get up really early.

So you could understand my delight when I got a call last night to say that the call time had been pushed back and that the new time was 6.30 a.m. Boo-yeah! I had reclaimed an hour of my night. An hour I had given up forever. And I didn't even have to fork out a ransom.

But the thing is, if my call time had been pushed from 5.30 p.m to 6.30 p.m I wouldn't have even noticed.

This got me thinking, if you were putting a price on hours of the day, I reckon the most exclusive real estate would lie from 2 a.m-6 a.m.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so right about the waking up all the time on nights when you know you've to get up early.

But even if you last wake up is just two minutes or so before your deadline you will always fall back asleep just before your alarm goes off so it can frighten the crap out of you and set the tone for your day.

laughykate said...

Exactly, and chances are I will have fallen into a really deep sleep and will wake up feeling sick/jetlagged.

Holemaster said...

Oh that's me too with the waking up all the time. I don't take early flights anymore. It's just uncivilised.

laughykate said...

I can forgive an early start if it's for a flight Holemaster, but this particular early start was to go out on a tugboat.

Arse, it was cold.

Fat Sparrow said...

Meh, mornings are not valid. I agree with you completely.

laughykate said...

Early cold mornings.......errrrrrrruuggggghhhh

Holemaster said...

Hey LK, how cold is 'cold' though?

laughykate said...

In my world, anything under about 15 c is too cold for me. I just looked at a weather site that says right now it is 1 c outside.