Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pop quiz

You're being sent to live on a desert island.

You're allowed to take three foods, what would they be?

Now, I really struggle with this question. I (Pollyannaishly) assume that there will be a larder stocked with salt, grindy pepper, good oil, balsamic, soya sauce, garlic, ginger, thai chilli sauce.....yada yada yada. And if I am only allowed just the one, I'll take the salt, thanks.

But what foods would you take? When I ask friends this question, there are those that fall into the survival camp and those that fall into the what-would-I-really-want-to-eat-if-I-could-only-eat-three-things camp.

I was mortified when I asked my (at the time) nine year old nephew, and he listed water and two other foods that would ensure he would see out the next fifty years.(You're nine, surely you should just be requesting fish and chips? Cause your father would have, at your age).

Anyway, if you were asking me today I think I would take mushrooms (as long as I had the arsenal of condiments listed above), mangoes (as my sweet treat) and prawns. If I could go hunt my own prawns I think I would take avocado.

That's my three, what are yours?

21 comments:

Stephen Stratford said...

Yes, prawns are good. As are wine and coffee. Those three's company.

(I'm assuming there's a larder with all those items you suggest, plus a herb garden with coriander, lemongrass etc. Plus broadband otherwise why would you?)

laughykate said...

I think, after boredom started to set in, I would have to build a boat, paddle to the next island and steal their stuff. (Assuming my boat didn't sink and I didn't get eaten by a shark along on the way).

Unknown said...

My votes are for coffee, milk and chocolate...to hell with a healthy diet, and if all you guys are there we can trade ;)

laughykate said...

Milk? Is that so you can make ice cream? Or cause you need it in your coffee?

Unknown said...

Cant stand black coffee..and it goes well with chocolate...have you tried a submarino?

Esther said...

Odd question Kate? Are you planning a retreat?
But...wine, rice and cheese. I think that would do me. I'm with Sarah on the trade thing tho..although I'm not trading the wine.

laughykate said...

No, but naturally my brain imagines an underwater sheep.

laughykate said...

No Esther, not planning a retreat. It's just a question I throw around a room from time to time. Don't know why, just always fascinated about people's answers.

Stephen Stratford said...

An underwater sheep? Like a Perendale crossed with a prawn?

Holemaster said...

I would bring the last three tunnocks tea cakes

laughykate said...

Stephen, put the bong down!

Holemaster, I had to google tunnocks tea cakes. We call them mallowpuffs.http://www.griffins.co.nz/by-name/mallowpuffs

As a kid I used to be able to stretch eating one out to at least twenty minutes. First, crack the chocolate and peel it off it off segment by segment.....

Fat Sparrow said...

Does this mean I have to cook? Because I hate to cook. I would damn well bring a cook. And a fisherman, and a gardener. And if the 3 of them couldn't manage to keep me well fed, I would eat them.

Otherwise I would bring Baker's food: a beef burrito, a double cheeseburger, and some fries.

Although I would miss tostadas and a Coke.

laughykate said...

No, you don't have to cook your own food, it comes already cooked.

Like the idea of a fisherman, though. And a cook.

Fat Sparrow said...

Let's go for a maid and a pool boy, too. I want Simon Pegg for my pool boy. And my maid.

laughykate said...

Now there's another poll - you can take three things to a desert island.You must choose from: people/food/drink/toys.What would they be?


P.S Simon Pegg? Really? 'How to Lose Friends and Alienate People'? That film was kind of the career equivalent to a bad face lift.

Fat Sparrow said...

Haven't seen that movie, but I had a dream in which we were having sex, and I am here to tell you that he was absolutely amazing in bed.

Oh yeah.

laughykate said...

You want to keep that dream intact? Do not, I repeat, DO NOT go and see that movie.

Anonymous said...

I'd bring chocolate, crackers and cream cheese. All the C's and I don't know why but I could eat those any day all day. YUM!

laughykate said...

Really? That's interesting, see if I was to be picking a 'c' word, it would be chips (or crisps).

Anonymous said...

I like crisps too b ut I dunno, a life timeof them, what flavour would you pick, see thats when it'll get too complicated for me!

laughykate said...

Oh that's an easy one for me, http://www.glengarry.co.nz/product.jsp?code=97237.......

YUM.